Monday, February 28, 2011

Goals of Ancestors of Gods Blog

My goal in writing this blog is to promote the wonder and awe of science. I hope to do that by posting my thoughts about things of science that have been happening in the news; much like what I’ve been doing on my Facebook page for the past year. However, here I’ll be able to expand on those thoughts. I am not an expert. I have a bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, where my interest was in archaeology, and a master’s degree in geology, where my interest was in structural geology - how the earth’s rocks have been deformed. Plate tectonics was the hot subject while I was in graduate school and has fascinated me ever since. I spent the first 10 years of my career working as a minerals exploration geologist, mostly in the American Southwest, prospecting for uranium and gold. Currently, I work for an environmental consulting company. I also do volunteer work in the paleontology lab at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science (DMNS) where I am currently working on cleaning up the disarticulated and highly fractured bones of an Ankylosaur found near Moab, Utah. Most Saturday mornings will find me working in the lab.
In addition to geology and paleontology, specific areas of science that interest me and about which I will likely write are the brain (how it works and how consciousness occurs), biology and evolution, physics and cosmology, anthropology and archaeology, the science/religion conflict, pseudoscience, and origins; origins of everything from the origin of the universe and the origin of life to the origins of religion. (I explore the later using fiction in my latest book, Ancestors of Gods. http://tinyurl.com/2cegtuo). As I said above, I am not an expert and I hope to learn a lot from your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment